Estate Builder / Apprentice Estate Builder
Place of work: Powderham Castle, Kenton, Exeter, Devon EX6 8HQ
We are looking to appoint an Estate Builder or, Apprentice Estate Builder, reporting to and working with the existing Estate Foreman.
The role will be an excellent fit for a tradesperson with a range of skills who enjoys working on a variety of buildings, as well as problem solving and working within a friendly and established team. The role offers the opportunity of undertaking work to the Grade I listed Powderham Castle, as well associated Grade II* listed Belvedere, Stables House and other heritage structures within Powderham’s Grade II listed park and garden.
The Estate Building Team also repair and maintain Powderham’s portfolio of let cottages and other commercial properties. There is always plenty to do, and for larger or specialist works the Estate engages outside contractors to support and work alongside the in-house team.
In addition to the above, the Estate building team assists with larger capital projects, such as the 2021 re-roofing of the Castle towers (featured on Nick Knowles’ Heritage Rescue), the 2018 restoration of Powderham Belvedere (Georgian Awards Accredited Project), and the 2022 tourism infrastructure works. This adds further substance and variety to the role.
Powderham is beautiful and diverse historic Estate which has been owned by the Courtenay family for nearly seven centuries. It comprises approximately 3,000 acres including the Grade I listed Powderham Castle, approximately 40 let cottages, Powderham country store retail premises and other similar let commercial properties/stores, as well as farms and forestry.
The Building Team works with Powderham Castle’s wider enterprises including: Visitor Attraction, Secret Garden/Petting Zoo, Weddings, Business Events, Deer Park, Shoot, Farm, Property Lettings and Exe Estuary Moorings. The Estate is overseen by in-house staff and our Property Management Consultants (Stags).
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
Technical skills - the following skills would be advantageous, however the Estate is also able to assist with training and development:
- Working at height
- Carpentry and Woodworking
- Small Works Plumbing
- Tiling & Associated Works
- Use of Traditional Lime Mortars and Lime Renders
- Lead Repairs/Lead Working
(excluding gas, electrics and major plumbing, where established third-party contractors are used)
- Good verbal communication skills are desired and the ability to engage with the wider Estate Team
- Flexible, can-do, positive attitude
- Self-motivated and able to work on own initiative or as part of a team
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines, if required
- Team player and able to multi-task effectively with good forward planning skills
- To work as part of an established team on a varied portfolio of properties
- Full clean UK driving licence
Knowledge & Experience:
- A varied skills-base preferable, as well as knowledge and experience working with heritage structures. Although the Estate is willing to consider less experienced candidates with a desire to develop such knowledge and to support apprentice schemes for the right applicant
- Working knowledge of health & Safety requirements and a desire to implement them
- Building works and maintenance working alongside the existing Estate Foreman as part of an established team
- Routine inspections
- Working hours 08:00 to 16:30 Monday to Thursday, 08:00 to 15:30 Friday
- Shared responsibility for out-of-hours emergency cover, subject to time off in lieu
- A competitive salary, [estimated at £23,000 – £26,000] depending on experience.
- Holiday entitlement 23 days plus Bank Holiday
- Pension: Successful candidate will be eligible to join the Estate pension scheme
- Work vehicle during business hours
- Periodic work-related training
- Further discretionary privileges include discounts in the castle retail and catering outlets; 10% off at the Farm Shop and country stores; complimentary tickets to events held on the site (subject to availability).
- Potential career development opportunities for the right applicant
Contact: 01802 862002
Contact Email: [email protected]